Carsey Social Innovation Internship
Carsey Social Innovation Internship
2012 Carsey Social Innovation Interns
About the Carsey Institute Social Innovation Internships
Do you want to change the world? Whether you’re already committed to a career at the intersection of mission and business, or curious how to apply your major’s skills towards social and environmental good, the 8-week Carsey Social Innovation Internship will: (1) Connect you to leading for-profit and nonprofit organizations for a rigorous and meaningful summer internship; (2) Provide UNH training in social entrepreneurship; and (3) Support you to mobilize your UNH peers during the school year. All this, along with a $2500 stipend! The Center on Social Innovation and Finance at the Carsey Institute is seeking a handful of idealistic, high-achieving, impact-focused student leaders for the 2013 Carsey Social Innovation Internship.
Carsey Social Innovation Interns will be placed at these leading for-profit and non-profit organizations, each with an innovative, market-based approach achieving its social or environmental mission. Click here to learn more about the specifics of each organization and internship.
- Coastal Enterprise, Inc. (CEI) (community economic development)
- Dare Mighty Things (management consulting)
- Lend for America (student-led microfinance) - (due March 8th)
- Pax World Management (sustainable investing)
- Poly Recovery (sustainable recycling)
- Portsmouth Historical Society (culture and community development)
- ROC USA (manufactured housing cooperatives)
- Seacoast Local (local investing)
- Sewing Confidence (skill-building and microenterprise with refugee women)
- Timberland (eco-friendly products)
- UNH Sustainability Institute (campus sustainability)
- Veris Wealth Partners (sustainable investing)
History of the Internship
In 2011, the five inaugural Carsey Social Innovation Interns returned to campus inspired to mobilize other UNH students around the concepts and practice of social innovation. They formed the UNH chapter of Net Impact (a 30,000-member international organization focused on careers for People, Planet, and Profit); hosted a social entrepreneurship panel; and helped launch the new Social Venture track of the Holloway Prize Innovation-to-Market Competition. In 2012, the second intern cohort’s Summer Showcase was attended by over 100 people representing a range of UNH colleges and support services, businesspeople, and policy makers. Currently, the 2012 interns and Net Impact are organizing "Careers With Impact: Career Panel (March 27)" and "Careers With Impact: Career and Internship Fair (April 4 – co-sponsored by Paul College and New Hampshire Businesses for Social Responsibility)". They are also promoting sustainable investing practices at UNH that consider environmental, social, and governance factors.
See Carsey Social Innovation Interns in Action
- Watch interns present at their 2012 Summer Showcase (click on the "Center on Social Innovation and Finace" tab).
- 2012 intern’s summer blog featured on national Net Impact website, “Did you think undergrads weren't ready for impact careers?”
- “Selling Student Investors on Sustainability” in UNH Today, November 1, 2012.
- “Driving Change: Carsey Intern Puts People in the Driver's Seat” in UNH Today, October 4, 2012.
- Watch a 2011 intern reflect on his powerful summer experience that led to an amazing job after graduation (spoiler alert: it involves microfinance in South Africa)
- Learn more about Net Impact UNH and attend a weekly meeting.
Who Can Apply?
UNH sophomores and juniors in good standing as of March. The internship is awarded and administered by the Carsey Institute, and applicants are chosen by an independent review panel and the business after interviewing. Students will be selected based on:
- Evidence of prior achievement in academic and extracurricular activities
- Relevant skills, interests, and goals
- Potential for, and commitment to, UNH peer leadership in the following school year
- GPA 3.0 or above
Students must be available from Orientation on Friday, May 31 until the final Showcase on Wednesday, July 31. Students work at host sites full time for eight weeks from June 3 through July 26.
Click here to download an application. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis, so don’t delay! The hard deadline for applications is Friday, March 22. Candidates will interview and be placed in host organizations by April 22 latest. Submit all materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or send hard copies to Yusi Turell at the Carsey Institute at Huddleston Hall, 73 Main Street, Durham NH 03824.
- About Us
- Policy and Research Areas
- Carsey Initiatives
- Carsey Research
- Center on Social Innovation and Finance
- About the Center on Social Innovation and Finance
- Professional Programs
- Undergraduate Resources
- Applied Research
- Upcoming Events
- Community and Environment in Rural America
- Master of Arts in Development Policy and Practice
- NH Listens
- Stonyfield Entrepreneurship Institute
- Sustainable Microenterprise and Development Program
- Tracking Changes in the North Country
- Carsey on Campus